The time is now for the Second Life community to Join Hands for Nepal and help the survivors of the devastating April 25, 2015 earthquake. At 11:56 NST a 7.8 magnitude earthquake struck in the village of Barpark, Gorkha district, the worst natural disaster to occur in Nepal since 1934. More than 8,000 people were killed and 19,000 injured. The quake was felt in adjoining areas of India, China and Bangladesh, triggering an avalanche on Mount Everest (killing 19) and in Langtang valley (250 missing). Aftershocks continue to rock the region, with one reaching 6.7 magnitude on April 26, 2015. A second major earthquake hit a few days ago, on May 12, a 7.3 magnitude with an epicenter near the Chinese border between the captial of Kathmandu and Mt. Everest (80 killed and 2,000 injured).
Valsnia and Ruby Ornamental, Second Life top models and bloggers have come together to organize Join Hands for Nepal charity event benefitting Fashion for Food SL from May 13-16, 2015. During the four-day event more than 40 designers have created exclusive event items with all the proceeds of the sale benefitting Fashion for Food SL.
Fashion for Food SL is aimed at raising money which can be put towards the UN’s World Food Programme (WFP), which is focusing its efforts on bringing assistance and relief to the outlying regions of Nepal, allowing the government to coordinate efforts along the Kathmandu Valley. The WFP estimating US $116.5 million is required to provide food for 1.4 million people for a period of three months – that’s US $27 per person per month.
Join Hands is largely organized by the Indian community in SL to support their neighbouring Nepal, with the event region being sponsored by Indian Paradise. The region has been designed to recreate an environment which has been shattered and an earthquake, offering something of a glimpse of the devastation wrought in Nepal. The fashion show and events area are located towards the centre of the region, while paths winding around the region take visitors past the vendor boards which will be available throughout the fours days of the event. Note that if you would prefer to donate to the WFP’s work directly, you can do so via their Nepal relief work page.
- Dress: Me Sew Sexy, Black Lace Cocktail Dress (exclusive @ Join Hands event)
- Jewelry: Chop Zuey, Patience Texture Change Set (Group Gift May 2015)
- Hair: Due, Pia
- Pose: Vestige Poses, Natulous 1 (exclusive @ Join Hands event)
- Dress: Me Sew Sexy, Seafoam Satin Dress (exclusive @ Join Hands event)
- Shoes: Me Sew Sexy, Miranda White Heels Slink High (exclusive @ Join Hands event)
- Hair: Wasabi Pills, Irene Sorbet (FaMESHed 3rd Anniversary gift)
- Bangles: Maxi Gossamer, Painted Pansies (FaMESHed 3rd Anniversary gift)
- Earrings: CandyDoll, Lilly (The Chapter Four 2nd Birthday gift)